ASUS just introduced the ROG Phone 7, the company’s latest gaming smartphone in India and global markets, as it had promised. It packs the same 6.78-inch Full HD+ AMOLED HDR display with 165Hz refresh rate, but this is powered by Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 SoC. It has up to 16GB of RAM for the Ultimate version.
The upgraded GameCool 7 thermal system in the ROG Phone 7 is the best yet, cooling the CPU from all directions, said the company. It uses a three-pronged approach. First, for short sessions the Boron Nitride (BN) thermal compound on one side of the CPU reduces throttling. Secondly, mid-length sessions are taken care of by the bigger vapor chamber and graphite sheets on the other side of the CPU.
The new AeroActive Cooler 7 that has its fan positioned right over the CPU module — kicks into play for AI-powered active cooling, featuring a Peltier element for extra cooling performance.
The phone has twin front-firing 12 x 16 mm speakers with 50% more effective volume and results in 20% stronger bass performance. Aided by the five-magnet, super-linear 13 x 38 mm subwoofer in the AeroActive cooler 7, the bass performance is up to 77% stronger, delivering unbeatable 2.1 sound for games or entertainment, said ASUS.
There are AirTrigger ultrasonic sensors on the side of the phone. You can map them to any on-screen touch controls and utilize unique gestures for different actions, like tapping, sliding, and pressing and lifting. Gyroscope aiming allows even more precision than on-screen control sticks, and the Vibration Mapping allows you to map haptic feedback to on-screen buttons.
The phone comes with IP54 ratings for dust and splash resistance, compared to IPX4 in the ROG Phone 6. There is an in-display fingerprint scanner as well. It features a 50-megapixel rear camera with Sony IMX766 sensor, along with a 13-megapixel 125° ultra-wide camera and an 5-megapixel macro camera, and a new 32-megapixel front camera.
The ROG Phone 7 has ROG (RGB light) logo and the 7 Ultimate comes with ROG Vision color PMOLED display. It still has the 3.5mm audio jack, Symmetrical dual front-facing speakers with Dirac HD Sound. The phone has a dual-cell 6,000mAh battery with 65W HyperCharge fast charging.
ASUS ROG Phone 7 and 7 Ultimate specifications
- 6.78-inch (2448 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ 165Hz OLED 10-bit HDR 20.4:9 aspect ratio display, up to 1500 nits brighness, Delta-E < 1, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 4nm Mobile Platform with Adreno next-gen GPU
- 12GB LPDDR5X RAM with 256GB (UFS 4.0) storage / 16GB LPDDR5X RAM with 512GB (UFS 4.0) storage
- Android 13 with ROG UI & Zen UI
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
50MP rear camera with Sony IMX766, f/1.9 aperture, 13MP ultra-wide camera, 5MP macro sensor
- 32MP front-facing camera
- 3.5mm audio jack, dual front-facing speakers, 5-magnet stereo speaker with Cirrus Logic amplifier
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- Weight: 239g (Phone 7) / 249g (Phone 7 Ultimate)
- 5G SA/NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 7 802.11 be, Bluetooth 5.3, GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, Galileo(E1+E5a), QZSS(L1+L5), NavIC(L5), USB Type-C, NFC
- Dust and water resistant (IP54)
- 6000mAh (typical) / 5800mAh (minimum) battery with 65W fast charging, Quick Charge 5.0 and PD 3.0 Charging
Pricing and availability
The ASUS ROG Phone 7 comes in Storm White and Phantom Black colours and is priced at Rs. 74,999 for the 12GB + 256GB model in India. It costs 999 Euros in Europe.
The ROG Phone 7 Ultimate comes in Storm White colour and is priced at Rs.99,999 for the 16GB + 512GB model. This comes with Areo Active Cooler 7 in the box. It costs 1399 Euros in Europe.
It will be available to pre-order in Europe and China starting today. The phone will be demoed at Vijay Sales in India, said the company.
The phone will be available from Asus India e-Store, select ASUS exclusive stores, select ROG stores and Vijay Sales (online and offline) starting from May 2023.