Qualcomm Snapdragon 4 Gen 2 4nm Chipset 5G Mobile Platform Announced
Qualcomm just announced the Snapdragon 4 Gen 2 4nm Mobile Platform for mass-volume 5G devices, as the successor to last year’s Snapdragon 4 Gen 1. The Qualcomm Kryo CPU offers peak speeds up to 2.2 GHz, and overall up to 10% better CPU performance compared to the 4 Gen 1.
It offers support for 120fps FHD+ displays, same as the predecessor, but this has dual 12-bit ISP compared to triple 12-bit ISP in the Snapdragon 4 Gen 1. However, the company said that the dual ISP is still powerful.
It is the first to use 4 nm processing node in the Snapdragon 4 series for enhanced power savings. The Adreno GPU is not as powerful as the one in the Snapdragon 4 Gen 1 said the company during the briefing.
It gets an upgrade to Snapdragon X61 5G Modem-RF System compared to Snapdragon X51 5G modem offering downlink speeds up to 2.5 Gbps and has Qualcomm Wi-Fi 5 for fast, strong Wi-Fi connectivity.
Highlights of Qualcomm Snapdragon 4 Gen 1
- 2 x Kryo Prime CPU (A78-based) at up to 2.2GHz, 6 x Kryo Efficiency CPUs (A55-based) at up to 2GHz
- Samsung 4nm 4LPX process technology
- Built-in Qualcomm Snapdragon X61 5G modem-RF system
- Download speeds of up to 2.5 Gbps (5G), 800 Mbps (LTE), Uplink: Up to 900 Mbps (5G), 210 Mbps (LTE)
- Sub-6 GHz, standalone (SA) and nonstandalone (NSA) modes, FDD, TDD Dynamic Spectrum Sharing, Sub-6 GHz: 100 MHz bandwidth,
4×4 MIMO, Qualcomm 5G PowerSave, Qualcomm Smart Transmit technology, Qualcomm Wideband Envelope Tracking, Qualcomm AI-Enhanced Signal Boost, Global 5G multi-SIM
- Qualcomm Adreno GPU, OpenGL ES 3.2, OpenCL 2.0 FP, Vulkan 1.1
- H.264 (AVC), H.265 (HEVC), VP9 playback
- Low Power Audio Subsystem, Qualcomm cVc Echo Cancelling and
Noise Suppression (ECNS), Snapdragon Voice Activation Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise (THD+N), Playback: -108dB, Hi-Fi Audio with up to 384 kHz/32-bit, Qualcomm Aqstic smart speaker amplifier, Qualcomm Aqstic audio codec
- Up to 16 MP + 16 MP dual camera with 30 FPS Zero Shutter Lag, Up to 32 MP single camera with 30 FPS Zero Shutter Lag, Up to 108 MP Photo Capture, Qualcomm Spectra Image Signal Processor, Dual 12-bit ISPs, 1080p Single Video Capture @ 60 FPS, 1080p dual video capture @ 30 FPS, Slow-mo Video Capture at 720p @ 120FPS
- On-Device Display Support: FHD+ / HD+ @ 120Hz
- Qualcomm Hexagon Tensor, Hexagon Vector eXtensions (HVX), Hexagon Scalar Accelerator
- LPDDR4X memory up to 2133 MHz, LPDDR5X memory up to 3200 MHz, UFS 3.1 2-Lane storage
- Integrated 2×2 Wi-Fi 5 mobile connectivity chipset, Support for Bluetooth 5.1 and WPA3 Security
- GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, Calileo, NavIC, QZSS, Dual Frequency GNSS (L1/L5)
- USB 3.2 Gen 1, USB-C
- Qualcomm Quick Charge 4+ technology
The Snapdragon 4 Gen 2 will power devices launching in the second half of 2023 starting with Redmi and vivo phones. Xiaomi’s Redmi 11R is said to be the first phone to be powered by the SoC.