On the occasion of Kannada Rajyotsava today, Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Limited (BMRCL) has launched the world’s first WhatsApp chatbot-based QR ticketing system. Namma Metro has launched a mobile app-based QR ticketing system.
The Meta-owned platform says that users in Bengaluru can now use the instant messaging app to buy tickets online and recharge their travel passes. The service is the “first-ever QR ticketing service” for the app, according to the Meta-owned platform. Upon inputting their travel information into the app, WhatsApp users can use UPI to pay for their tickets and recharge. Once the QR ticket is made, it can be scanned at the terminal to let people get in and out without having to touch anything.
The WhatsApp chatbot’s capabilities include the ability to converse in Kannada and English, purchase QR tickets, recharge metro cards, and use travel planners to find the nearest metro station, train departure times at various stations, fare information, and more. Passengers will also have the opportunity to provide comments and other features as follows:
1. The ability to converse in Kannada and English
2. Obtaining QR tickets
3. Metro smart card recharging
4. Journey or Route planner
- (i) locating the nearest metro stations from commuters’ current location
- (ii) to get train departure findings at different stations
- (iii) to obtain fare information between any two stations
5. Customers’ feedback
6. Native payment experience via WhatsApp UPI for fast and easy payments.
How to Use the Namma Metro Stations’ Single Journey QR Ticket
- On the day of the trip, riders can get the QR ticket by telling the Namma Metro app or WhatsApp the station where they are getting on and where they want to get off.
- Such mobile phone QR tickets must be presented to the QR readers of the Automatic Gates (AG) at both entry/exit stations.
Namma Metro is happy to give additional facility for commuters- QR Code based Single Journey Metro Travel Tickets can be downloaded from WhatsApp from 1st Nov 2022. Commuters are requested to make use of this facility pic.twitter.com/4j6oeDMopb
— ನಮ್ಮ ಮೆಟ್ರೋ (@cpronammametro) October 31, 2022
Discounts and Validity
- Mobile QR tickets last until the day’s revenue service. If the commuter does not travel, he can cancel the ticket on the same day and get a refund.
- QR tickets are available at a 5% discount off the token fee.
Passengers can use the Namma Metro app by downloading it from Google Play Store and registering to purchase QR tickets.
Speaking on the announcement, BMRCL Managing Director Anjum Parwez said:
“To provide more comfort in travel, we are launching the Namma Metro mobile app and WhatsApp-based QR ticket systems. The app is already being used by passengers to plan their trips and QR ticket option will be made available from November 1. We have tied up with WhatsApp to provide QR ticket purchase option. There is no additional charge applicable for purchase of tickets on these two platforms.”