LG Display today introduced the world’s first 12-inch high-resolution Stretchable display with free-form technology. This lets the display be extended, folded, and twisted without distortion or damage.
Highlights of LG’s Stretchable display
- Industry’s first to achieve 20% stretchability, a resolution of 100ppi, and full-color RGB
- High flexibility, durability, and reliability maximize its potential for commercialization.
- Made of a highly resilient film-type substrate made of special silicon that is used in contact lenses, so the display offers a rubber band-like flexibility that allows the 12-inch display to be stretched up to 14 inches
- Stretchable display uses a micro-LED light source with a pixel pitch of less than 40μm, securing a high level of durability to withstand significant external impacts as well as a resolution that competes with most existing monitors.
- Unlike the conventional linear wired system, the Stretchable display’s flexible S-form spring wired system’s optimal structure can endure more than 10,000 repetitive changes to its form, assuring consumers of its incredible durability and reliability.
- Result of large-scale national R&D project the company was selected to lead by South Korea’s Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy (MOTIE) in 2020.
- Since 2020, LG Display has been working alongside twenty organizations in South Korea’s industrial-academic sector.
- Easily attachable to curved surfaces such as skin, clothing, furniture, automobiles and aircraft, expanding the potential of the display in various industries including fashion, wearables, mobility and gaming.
LG Display did not reveal when we can expect the stretchable display technology in commercial devices.