Apple just introduced its 2nd generation Homepod as the successor to the first Homepod model which was introduced back in 2017 and got discontinued in 2021. This has a familiar design and sticks to two colours – Midnight and White, compared to the Homepod mini which is available in 5 colours.
It gets a new S7 chip from the Apple Watch Series 7, and a built-in temperature and humidity sensor can measure indoor environments, which are also present on the homepod mini, and will be enabled with an update.
The Homepod has transparent 100% recycled mesh fabric with a colour-matched woven power cable and a backlit touch surface that illuminates from edge to edge.
Highlights and specifications of Homepod 2nd Generation
- A custom-engineered 4-inch high-excursion woofer, 20mm diaphragm, built-in bass-EQ mic, and beamforming array of five tweeters, each tweeter with its own neodymium magnet
- Internal low-frequency calibration microphone for automatic bass correction
- Four-microphone design for far-field Siri
- Advanced computational audio with system sensing for real-time tuning
- Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos for music and video
- S7 chip is combined with software and system-sensing technology to offer even more advanced computational audio
- Room sensing technology recognises sound reflections from nearby surfaces to determine if it is against a wall or freestanding, and then adapts sound in real time.
- Precise directional control of its beamforming array of five tweeters separates and beams direct and ambient audio for crystal-clear vocals and rich instrumentation.
- Create a stereo pair with two HomePod speakers in the same space, or add more HomePod or HomePod mini speakers for a variety of powerful features. Pairs with Apple TV 4K
- Ultra Wideband technology offers hand off of what is playing or a call on iPhone directly to a HomePod
- Bring an iPhone close to HomePod and suggestions will surface automatically.
- HomePod can recognise up to six voices, so each member of the home can hear their personal playlists, ask for reminders, and set calendar events.
- Sound Recognition can detect smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, and send a notification directly to the user’s iPhone if a sound is identified.
- New built-in temperature and humidity sensor can measure indoor environments
- Matter enables smart home products to work across ecosystems while maintaining the highest levels of security.
- 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, Thread
Pricing and Availability
The HomePod (2nd generation) is priced at Rs. 32900 (US$ 299) and will be available to order from apple.com/in/store starting today, and will be available beginning Friday, February 3. Apple is selling the Homepod mini at the original price of Rs. 9900 (US$ 99).