AMD today introduced the AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX and XT graphics cards, which use the next-generation AMD RDNA 3 architecture. The first AMD chiplet-based gaming graphics cards are based on AMD “Zen”-based AMD Ryzen chiplet CPUs. With the new processors, you can play games with 4K and higher resolutions at high frame rates. Earlier, AMD Ryzen 7020 series “Mendocino” processors for budget laptops were announced.
Radeon RX 7900 Series Graphics Cards
The Radeon RX 7900 Series are the industry’s highest-performance gaming graphics cards, unleashing new levels of speed and efficiency and bringing a number of new and expanded features that supercharge the gaming experience, says AMD.
The AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX graphics card gives up to 1.7X higher native 4K performance than that of the Radeon RX 6950 XT graphics card in selected games, while the RX 7900 XT delivers up to 1.5X higher performance. The key features include:
- AMD RDNA 3 Architecture: The key features include AMD RDNA 3 architecture, which has a redesigned chiplet design, compute units, and second-generation AMD Infinity Cache technology and delivers up to 54% more performance per watt than AMD RDNA 2.
- Chiplet Design: The world’s first gaming GPU with a chiplet design has 15% higher frequencies and 54% greater power efficiency. It features the new 5nm, 306mm2 Graphics Compute Die (GCD) with up to 96 compute units for core GPU capabilities. It also has six 37.5mm2 (6nm) Memory Cache Die (MCD) with up to 16MB of second-generation AMD Infinity Cache technology.
- Ultra-Fast Chiplet Interconnect: The second-generation AMD Infinity Cache chiplets use AMD Infinity Links and high-performance fanout packaging to give up to 5.3 TB/s of bandwidth.
- Expanded Memory and Wider Memory Bus: The new graphics cards include up to 24GB of 20Gbps GDDR6 memory on a 384-bit memory bus to handle today’s demanding games.
- Dedicated AI Acceleration and Second-Generation Raytracing: New AI instructions and faster AI throughput make the AMD RDNA 2 architecture 2.7X faster, and second-generation raytracing technology is 1.8X faster than the first generation.
- DisplayPort 2.1 Support: Support DisplayPort 2.1 technology with UHBR 13.5, giving up to 54 Gbps of display connection bandwidth for high-refresh 4K (480 Hz) or 8K (165 Hz) gameplay on next-gen screens.
- New AMD Radiance Display Engine: supports DisplayPort 2.1 and HDMI 2.1a and offers 12 bit-per-channel colour for up to 68 billion colours and greater refresh rates than AMD’s RDNA 2 architecture.
- High-Refresh Gaming: DisplayPort 2.1 supports 1440p, 4K, and 8K monitors at 900Hz, 480Hz, and 165Hz refresh rates.
- Dual Media Engine: Supports simultaneous HEVC encode/decode streams up to 8K60 and AV1 encode11, giving up to 1.8X greater engine frequency than AMD’s RDNA 2 architecture.
AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution 2.2 and AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition Technology
- AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) 2.2: FSR 2.2, the next version of the popular FSR temporal upscaling technology, improves visual quality and is available in 216 titles. It will debut in Forza Horizon 5 on November 8, 2022. GPUOpen.com will shortly offer it to game developers.
- AMD FSR 3: In 2023, AMD will produce a new AMD FSR with AMD Fluid Motion Frames technology that will give up to 2X greater FPS in chosen games than AMD FSR 2.
- AMD HYPR-RX: In the first half of 2023, a one-click preset will enable AMD Software features like AMD Radeon Anti-Lag, AMD Radeon Boost, and AMD Radeon Super Resolution to work together, reducing latency and delivering up to 85% higher FPS in Dying Light 2: Stay Human with the Radeon RX 7900 XTX graphics card and AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.40.00.24.
- AMD RDNA 3 Media Engine: It features AV1 hardware encoding for up to 7X quicker video encoding at 8K compared to a software-only solution and Xilinx Content Adaptive Machine Learning technology to improve text quality for lower resolutions and bitrate streams.
- Improved video recording and streaming: AMD worked with OBS to optimize video streaming on AMD Radeon RX 6000 and RX 7000 Series graphics cards. The AV1 hardware encoding in the AMD RDNA 3 Media Engine helps live broadcasting.
AMD Advantage for Desktop PCs
AMD Advantage desktops combine top-of-the-line AMD Ryzen 7950x processors, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX graphics cards, AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition technology, and AMD’s smart technologies to make the perfect platform for gamers and creators.
AMD Advantage certified desktops will include AMD Smart Access Memory and AMD SmartAccess Video, which dynamically divide decoding and encoding tasks across AMD Ryzen processors and AMD Radeon graphics cards to boost 4K multi-stream encoding by up to 30%.
- Desktops with AMD Advantage have great performance, great graphics with the AMD Radiance Display Engine, and monitors with AMD FreeSync Premium.
- They are engineered to game with high-quality chassis, CPU liquid cooling, a minimum of 2TB of NVMe SSD storage, 32GB or more of DDR5 AMD EXPO memory17, 80+ Gold power supplies, optimal acoustics, and easy customization.
- Desktop PCs with AMD Advantage will soon be available from CSL, Cyberpower, eBuyer, Falcon Northwest, Maingear, Origin PC, and XIdax, which are all major SI partners.
Pricing and availability
AMD Radeon RX 7900 Series graphics cards will be available from AMD.com beginning December 13, 2022, and from partners including ASRock, ASUS, Biostar, Gigabyte, MSI, PowerColor, Sapphire, Vastarmor, XFX, and Yeston beginning mid-December.
The AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX has an SEP of US$ 999 (Rs. 82,520 approx.) , while the AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT has an SEP of US$ 899 (Rs. 74,260 approx.).
Speaking at the launch, Scott Herkelman, senior vice president & general manager, Graphics Business Unit at AMD, said:
These new graphics cards are designed by gamers for gamers. As we were developing the new cards, we not only incorporated feedback from our customers, but we built in the features and capabilities we wanted to use.
We also realized that we needed to do something different to continue pushing the envelope of the technology, and I’m proud of what the team has accomplished with AMD RDNA 3 and the Radeon RX 7900 Series graphics cards. I can’t wait for gamers to experience the powerhouse performance, incredibly vivid visuals and amazing new features these new graphics cards offer.